Paleochristian complex dating back to the 5th century, which includes the Byzantine-Protoromanesque church (also called Church of SS. Cosma e Damiano) and the Christian necropolis, in which many Byzantine and Roman Age remains were found.
Risen up as Martyrium for the martyr Saturnino, the church was donated to Vittorini monks from Marsiglia, who founded a priorate and renovated the church in Romanic Provençal style. In the first part of the 14th century, during the Catalans siege, the cloister was seriously damaged, tumbling down a century later. The church was restored again in 1484.
Approximately in 1614 began the excavations to find the so called " holy corpses", that is to say martyrs' relics or something supposed to be that, while in 1669, the church was demolished in part, to extract useful materials for the restoration of the Cathedral. In 1714, the chuch was given to the corporation of Medici ad Speziali who dedicated it to their protectors, the Saints Cosma and Damiano.
The church was seriously damaged during the bombing in 1943, and, after several restauration woks, it was opened again to the ritual in 1996.
Basilica di San Saturnino
Piazza San Cosimo